Whether you’re just getting into dressing smart, or you’re a seasoned dapper gent, it always pays to check the cornerstones of your wardrobe. We’re not talking about your navy suit and black oxfords, but all the small details that make a world of difference. Here at Dapper Lapel we are focused on making and educating people on men’s accessories from ties to lapel flowers. We’re looking back to what your grandad wore, but adding a modern twist. That’s the vibe we aspire to. It will make heads turn from the boardroom to the bar. You only get one first impression, so make it count!
So if you’re looking to improve your own style, or seeking gift ideas, our top 5 menswear accessories below will set you on the right track (and don’t forget to comment if you think we missed anything!).
Five Core Accessories For Any Man
- Black Tie: a true cross over piece that can be worn on a night out, the office, a wedding and more! Everyone needs one…period!
- Lapel Flowers: this wouldn’t come immediately to mind for most men, but it’s a game changer just because of that fact! It really adds that something special to an ensemble, and be prepared for all the complements. As with most things, start off simple, and grow from there. We think the Emilia Collection is the best starting point.
- Tie Bar: get that tie under control. It is a functional piece that should be attached to both the tie and shirt’s placket between the third and fourth button down from the top button. Never wear with a waistcoat! If you’re not too sure where to start, the best option is with a simple silver one.
- Pocket Square: that breast pocket on your jacket is there for a reason. Never wear one that matches your tie, but favor one that complements your overall outfit’s color palette, and last but not least make the fold look natural and simple… Looking like you’ve tried too hard is never a good look.
- Cufflinks: this is really a two-point suggestion. The first one is that you should have french-cuff shirts (ones that can actually have cufflinks, unlike most off the shelf shirts that have barrel cuffs with simple buttons). Once you have french cuffs, your cuffs become an opportunity to show off your style prowess. You can go really minimalist with some plain vintage black ones, to some more funky ones like 3D roses. The sky is the limit here, but just remember stay classy not cheesy!
Ongoing Fashion And Style Advice
Check back with our blog as we are going to be posting many men’s evergreen and seasonal style guides, from high level ones like the points above to highly specific ones.
Please let us know if you have any questions below in the comment section.